Computer Systems & Networks with Cyber Security
Why study Computing at Colaiste Ide:
- Access to latest software and technology.
- Build a strong broad foundation in Computing: course includes mobile app development, programming, networking and computer hardware.
- Become more confident ahead of studying computing degree in ITB, NCI, etc (very significant issue considering very high dropout rate in computing degrees)
- Consider implications with regard to college fees in having to repeat a year at 3rd level.
- Establish if you truly want to pursue a computing career.
- Become more proficient with technologies in general.
QQI Level 5 Certificate Computer Systems and Networks (5M0536)
Learners are equipped with the requisite skills for computer system configuration and maintenance. They are taught the fundamentals of computer networks, under supervision, leading to a range of employment opportunities within the IT sector. Student learning is focused on programming, guiding them in the techniques required to design, code and test efficient practical applications, both individually and within a team setting.
• Leaving Certificate: Five passes at Ordinary Level, which must include English and Mathematics, or
• Leaving Certificate Applied, Distinction (Mathematics is a mandatory requirement), or
• QQI/FETAC Level 4 award, or
• Others, including mature students are assessed individually, and
• Personal interview
Principal Area of Study
Computer Systems Hardware, Networking Essentials, Operating Systems, Communications, Mobile Technologies, Work Experience, Maths for Information Technology, Programming and Design Principles
Career Opportunities and Progression
This course offers progression options for learners to programmes in Universities and Institutes of Technology. Third-level institutes also reserve a number of places on degree courses for mature learners (over the age of 23). Learners must apply to each institute individually.
Learners who complete this major QQI award at Level 5 are eligible to apply through the CAO system for entry into participating courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme (HELS). A limited number of places are available and applicants are ranked according to results achieved in their QQI major award
Students will be qualified to seek employment in the PC maintenance and employment areas. Suitably qualified students may progress to certificate, diploma or degree courses in Institutes of Technology, including DIT.