Study Skills Centre
Our Latest Information
At Coláiste Íde we aim to be an inclusive College of Further Education and our Multidisciplinary team have set up our #You'reHereWeCareSoLet'sConnect initiative with the aim of keeping our learners active and engaged. Watch the video below and let our students tell you more about our learning environment and our designated multisensory room (currently the only FE College to do so) which helps students process issues, refocus and re-engage.
Watch this video on our Vimeo portal at https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/821194773
Assistive Technology in Word:
- How to use Immersive Reader for Word Online (PDF)
- How to use Microsoft Editor (PDF)
- How to use Microsoft Dictate (PDF)
- How to use TextHelp Read and Write (PDF)
What is it?
Study Skills Support for Students can help you with:
- Essay Writing
- Assignment Preparation , Structure & Layout
- Research Skills
- Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation
- Bibliography & Referencing
- Study & Reading Techniques
- Assistive Technology
Who can use the Study Skills Centre?
All students in Coláiste Íde can use the centre.
Why use the centre?
If you have not been in education for a long time and would like support to improve your skills.
What kinds of supports are available?
We can help with:
- Writing essays and assignments: organising your ideas with mind maps; proofreading; bibliography; referencing and plagiarism.
- Note-taking and academic Reading.
- Researching on the internet: getting the most out of internet searches
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Support for students who speak English as a second language.
- Dyslexia supports include training on assistive technology: such as Texthelp Gold (converts text to speech) and Dragon Naturally Speaking (converts speech to writing)
- Dyslexia screening to indicate whether a student should go for a full assessment (NB this is a screening tool only and is not a psychologist report needed for exemptions.)
What students have said about using the Study Skills Centre
Yvonne Roche, Childcare
I always knew there was a place I could go when I needed a helping hand.
Vanessa Lynch, Sports
The Study Skills Centre has more or less given me a second chance at my education; it also gave me the belief in myself and confidence to grow as a person.
Darren McNamee, Sports
If it wasn’t for the Study Skills Centre, I wouldn’t have been able to cope with all my assignments and they’re the reason I applied for my second year in the course.
Lisa Parsons, Healthcare
It was the difference between a pass and a fail
David Fullam, Healthcare
Really helped me to get to grips with my assignments
Frequently Asked Questions:
In Colaiste Ide we have an experienced Student Support Team in place for students with additional needs. Our Student Support Officers provide individualised customised responses to meet student needs. As a result we have a very high student succession record for the learners who use our Student Support Team.
The nature of Further Education is that students with specific learning needs can often be accommodated in ways that are not always possible at second level. The practical nature of many of our courses means there is less emphasis on written work. In certain cases work may be submitted in alternative formats such as video, sound recording or interview. Written exams are supported with individualised accommodations such as readers, scribes, separate exam centers and the use of laptops.
We have excellent assistive technology resources available for students. This technology supports literacy, dyslexia, and all forms of learning difficulties. These resources include Read & Write, C Pens as well as a range of tablets and laptops. More importantly the college runs a Study Skills Support center open to all students 5 days per week. Sindy Fitzpatrick is the Study Skills Coordinator and ensures that a teacher is always available to give assistance to students using study skills.