Study Skills Centre
What is it?
Study Skills Support for VTOS & BTE Students can help you with:
- Essay Writing
- Assignment Preparation , Structure & Layout
- Research Skills
- Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation
- Bibliography & Referencing
- Study & Reading Techniques
- Assistive Technology
Who can use the Study Skills Centre?
Why use the centre?
If you have not been in education for a long time and would like support to improve your skills.
What kinds of supports are available?
Sindy can help with:
- Writing essays and assignments: organising your ideas with mind maps; proofreading; bibliography; referencing and plagiarism.
- Note-taking and academic Reading.
- Researching on the internet: getting the most out of internet searches
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Support for students who speak English as a second language.
- Dyslexia supports include training on assistive technology: such as Texthelp Gold (converts text to speech) and Dragon Naturally Speaking (converts speech to writing)
- Dyslexia screening to indicate whether a student should go for a full assessment (NB this is a screening tool only and is not a psychologist report needed for exemptions.)
What students have said about using the Study Skills Centre
Yvonne Roche, Childcare
I always knew there was a place I could go when I needed a helping hand.
Vanessa Lynch, Sports
The Study Skills Centre has more or less given me a second chance at my education; it also gave me the belief in myself and confidence to grow as a person.
Darren McNamee, Sports
If it wasn’t for the Study Skills Centre, I wouldn’t have been able to cope with all my assignments and they’re the reason I applied for my second year in the course.
Lisa Parsons, Healthcare
It was the difference between a pass and a fail
David Fullam, Healthcare
Really helped me to get to grips with my assignments
Sindy Fitzpatrick, Manager